Thursday, July 18, 2013

Chips and Salsa for Breakfast?

While I totally and completely respect the decision to wait until marriage to live with your SO, I knew personally that I need to know Jon on an intimate level before we could consider marriage. It’s incredible what you think you know about someone until you live with them. Especially of the opposite sex.

Interesting habits and tendencies, for example leaving cupboard doors open. Not rinsing off the knife after it’s been in peanut butter. Leaving dirty boxers on the floor after a shower. Eating chips and salsa for breakfast.

Guys, to this day, I’m still learning the art of “pick your battles.” I got over the fact that sometimes he likes odd things for breakfast, while I find it disgusting. I close the cupboard doors for him without making a fuss. I even (mostly) pick up his dirty laundry without complaining.

What I’m trying to say is, at first when we moved in, I tried to correct everything. And it eventually made us argue. We argued over things like, the right way to load the dishwasher, where the dog should sit while we eat dinner, the best way to clean a carpet stain. It’s difficult to mesh two people’s lives under one roof. It really is.

Looking back, I overreacted at times. It takes time and patience to learn how to live with someone. You REALLY learn good communication skills, like how to bring up something that’s bothering you without playing the cold-shoulder-I’m-fine-snotty-attitude-game that I was definitely guilty of playing. Yep don’t play that anymore.

Yes there was a learning curve, but ultimately moving in with Jon was the best decision. Seeing his sweet face every night and every morning was worth the move.  As the months passed, I started wondering when we would reach the next stage- a proposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment