Thursday, July 18, 2013

It's Not Coffee, It's a RING!

The proposal story. One that I never tire of telling. But as always, every story must begin with a back-story. And it has to do with something that Jon and I are both quite fond of – coffee.

The time around Jon’s birthday in late February was spent in Colorado Springs for a dear friend of mine’s wedding. We had a fabulous time hiking, celebrating and partying it up! I was a bridesmaid for her, and she has accepted the honor of returning the favor! Right before we left for Colorado, Jon brought home a Keruig coffee maker from work that was supposedly broken. After taking it apart, Jon determined that all it needed was a new part, so he ordered it and tracked it’s shipping while we were in Colorado (boys and tracking orders, it’s so odd).

Well the part arrived just a day or two after our return from Colorado. With the new part installed, we had to test it out! But we hadn’t purchased K-cups yet.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012. Our 14-month anniversary. The day went about as any other. After work I went to the gym and ran on the treadmill and did some ab-work, and then I made pasta for dinner. We decided to run to Target to price out K-cups and grab a few groceries.

 We wondered around Target, bought a few groceries but no K-cups. Figured we could find them cheaper elsewhere. I distinctly remember on the drive home, singing loudly and obnoxiously to Taylor Swift’s “Ours,” just doing what I normally do. Well folks, apparently that was enough for Jon to make his decision.

Inside, I started to put groceries away when I noticed him chuckling and acting goofy for no reason.

“Ok, fess up mister, what is going on?” I asked.

He just shook his head and said, “Wait right here, in this spot, don’t move. I have to go get something from the car.” And he left out the front door.

I looked at Bella and shrugged. Then it dawned on me. “I bet he bought me K-cups as a surprise!!” I started dancing around the kitchen, not doing what I was told because I had a feeling I was getting coffee!!

I continued to put groceries away when the door opened and in walked Jon – with nothing in his hands. What?? No coffee?

Him – “I told you to stay put!”

Me – “No coffee?”

Him – “What? What about coffee?”

Me – “You didn’t get me K-cups?”

He started laughing. “Nope not quite.”

What happened next is still a blur to me. There in our kitchen, he started hugging me and kissing me and saying things like, “You know I love you right? And that I want to spend the rest of my life with you?”

And I’m just standing there like, “yeahhhhhhhhhh.”

And then suddenly I’m like, OHMYGOD! And BOOM he gets down on one knee and presents me with a shiny, brand new, sparkly diamond ring and says “Will you marry me?”

Enter SHOCK. I’m just staring down at him, speechless, a full 10 seconds before I squeak out, “Are you shi**ing me??”

Yes folks, this was the first thing out of my mouth. Not “Of course!” and “YES I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!” Not entirely proud of it, but it is what it is.

Then it starts coming back to me and I yell “YES!” and pull him up into a bear hug. He awkwardly hands me the ring and I’m like, uh aren’t you supposed to put that on for me? So he does. And I can’t stop smiling and kissing him and staring at the beautiful ring on my hand!! WE’RE ENGAGED!!!

Personal photo, our first picture as an engaged couple, taken the next day. 
He’s shocked I didn’t cry, and I’m just still in plain shock. I probably would have cried, if I would have known what was coming. But it came up too quick!

Immediately I begin the task of phoning friends and family, texting photos of my new bling.
 
Personal photo, my GORGEOUS solitaire Jon picked out all by himself!
 
I understood what this cloud nine feeling was. I couldn’t sleep, I was too giddy. But somehow I found sleep, next to my brand new fiancĂ©.

No comments:

Post a Comment